Your Official Summer Cocktail Is Here
Like an eminently danceable soundtrack and a tan line (or two), your summer isn’t complete without a signature drink. We’re thinking something cool and refreshing, with perhaps just a dash of spice (this is Miami, after all). For that, we turned to our friends and expert cocktail shakers at The Corner for a super simple recipe that fits the bill. Their answer: the Hot & Smokey.
The Hot & Smokey came to The Corner via their former head bartender, Aubrey Russell. He lived in Mexico for a few years and recently moved back with his wife to run a boutique clothing line called the Golondrina Collection. But he didn’t leave the 305 high and dry—we’ve got a refreshing (and boozy) drink we can thank him for.
Whipping up this cocktail is easy. And it should be—it’s way too hot for anything more than adjusting your position on a pool lounger. The Corner crew recommends rustling up a few tacos and nachos to go with this drink, too. Feeling fancy? A grilled-corn-and-red-pepper salad with queso fresco and red onions might fit the bill. Or as beverage program manager Chris MacLeod suggests, “salt the rim and eat it with a prosciutto and mozzarella sandwich.”
We’ll toast to that.Hot & Smokey
Ingredients (makes one serving):
• 2 ounces Del Maguey Vida Mezcal
• 1 ounce fresh lime juice
• 2 tsp cane sugar
• 1 pinch of dried habanero chili powder
1. Place lime juice and sugar into mixing glass, stir until dissolved.
2. Pour mezcal into the mixing glass and throw in the habanero powder into mixing glass.
3. Turn the mixing glass contents over into a Boston shaker with ice and shake vigorously.
4. Strain into an 8-ounce rocks glass over ice. Garnish with lime wheel.